3 Ways to Save Money with a Portable Heater!
During the cold months, energy bills tend to skyrocket. Running a central heating unit can be extremely costly, and improper use of smaller, more portable models can also take up a large portion of your energy bill.
Learn how to stay comfortable and warm through the cold months without having to waste too much money on gas heating. There are number of options that are efficient and keep you exceptionally warm too!
Heater Types and Which is the Most Efficient One for You
Efficiency is based on how much energy the heating unit draws from the power source. It's also based on how much ebnergy is actually used. Electric heating systems are 100% efficient as allthe nergy used is tunred in to heat.
Most options include efficient features designed to save you money too. Look for heat settings, what type of heat it produces: widespread or focused, and automatic climate control.
It's important to choose one with a thermostat so it will shut off when the desired room temperature is reached. This will save you money overtime and prevent the unit from running excessively.
Choosing a heating option is like choosing a sofa. It needs to fit your lifestyle, and it should also meet the needs of your home.
Ceramic Room Heaters
- Are great for adding supplemental heat when the main heating source is inadequate or when central heating may be too costly to install or to operate.
- Are less expensive to operate and warm up small areas like offices and homes quickly without overheating, so there's no discomfort.
- Are energy efficient as they don't lose any energythrough ducts or combustion. The warmth generated by a ceramic heater is completely utilized.
Oil-Filled Radiator Heaters
- Offer a safe and silent heating system.
- Operate by warming up heat-conserving oil, which is then circulated throughout the coils of the radiator.
- Easily portable and extremely safe!
- Only warm oil, not burn it, so it never needs to be replaced.
- Feature a low watt heating system uses only a small amount of electricity!
- Are great for heating up small or personal areas.
- Are efficient as they use infrared radiation similar to the sun or a heat lamp, warming a specific area rather than the entire room.
- Are able to save you money because they provide instant warmth, heating your immediate area quickly.
Sizing Your Heater to Meet Your Needs
Did you know that choosing the right sized unit can really make a difference in your energy costs? To choose the right one you must do the following:
- Measure the room you want to heat so you know the square footage. Heating capacity is based on the watts produced.
- Divide 10 into the square footage of the room to know how much coverage you need. For example, a 100 sq. ft. room requires a 1,000 watt heater for proper warming.
- Choose a heating system with the correct amount of watts. An oversized unit uses more energy than needed to warm a space.
- Select a type of heating system to meet the conditions of the room. Infrared heat for instant, focused warmth, and a ceramic one for widespread full room coverage.
Optimizing Your Heater's Airflow Can Result in Energy Savings
Optimizing airflow means that all energy draw is used. Why run a heater that's not warming an area properly? To optimize airflow it's important to do the following:
- Direct airflow where you need it most. Face the unit outward toward the area you want to not block airflow. Not only is this dangerous but it'll prevent warmth from reaching the desired area.
- Keep doors and windows tightly sealed so precious heat doesn't escape.
- Don't turn the unit on and off excessively. Doing so will only cause the unit to use more energy to warm back up.
It's easy to save money with a portable heating system. Just by following a few simple tips your heating unit can be an effective and efficient resource that will put money in the bank over the course of the year.